Wednesday, 27 June 2012

Interesting facts about Jean Paul Gaultier

As today on stardoll a New Tribute Store was released, I decided to look up for real life photos of clothes by Jean Paul Gaultier. While browsing the style.com photos of his collections I madly fell in love with absolutely different designs from 2012 collections (not the ones that were featured on stardoll) and also I felt a need to look up more information about this designer as I hadn't done it before.. As not to make this post as somewhat biography copy-paste of all I read, I decided to only collect only facts that seemed interesting to me and hopefully to you too, so here it goes: 
  • Young Jean Paul Gaultier wasn't interested in sports or any of the usual childhood pleasures.
  • At age 13 he designed a collection of clothing for his mother and grandmother
  • At age 15 he invented a coat with bookbag closures
  • Gaultier never received formal training as a designer
  • When he was 17, he sent his design sketches to Pierre Cardin who then hired him as design assistant
  • He worked with Cardin for 2 years, then worked with Jacques Esterel and later on with designers Angelo Tarlazzi and Michael Goma.
  • His most recognizable designs are jackets, dresses, and jumpsuits with indiscreet cutouts that make the garments resemble cages 
  • He has designed the   wardrobe of many motion pictures and outfits worn by Madonna and even rocker Marilyn Manson
  • Gaultier has used unconventional models for his exhibitions, like older men and full-figured women, pierced and heavily tattooed models and played with traditional gender roles
  • In Interview he explained that, "I have never really cared about what fashion's ideal was. There are different kinds of beauty and I always try to show that"
But on his 2012 Spring Couture collection (which from the latest ones is my favourite) he didn't choose that extraordinary models, but the designs itself were colourful yet provocative. They may seem not so couture as other his designs but they are still inspiring. And again proving that you can match black colour with any other colour from palette and you'll have perfect combination. Also another detail were the colourful wigs - I have always been thinking how much fun it would be to match your hair with colours of clothes or accessories from your outfits - and by wigs you could do it without causing any harmful effects for your own hair. Isn't it just a wonderful idea? I hope in the nearest future society will become more open there would be more open for such unusual idea.
Now, enough of talking, have a look at my favourite looks from 2012 Spring Couture collection -
Photo courtesy: style.com, collage made by me.
In case you haven't seen the collection click HERE for the rest of outfits.

P.S. Now by kind of finishing this post I feel an urge to look up for more of his designs and feature also older ones. I guess, it will come up as another post in the nearest future.

6 comments:

  1. cool!! i like the new shop :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those are some high heeled shoes!!(: btw where'd you get the cool background??

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jadeartsy120 I got it from same place as on HTGF, so to not to have copies, I remain not giving the source, sorry :L

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT post! I love sales as well! (: New follower here! Hope you can take the time to check out/follow my blog as well! (:

    xoxo,
    Cindy C.
    http://styleologie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Cindy C. Thanks so much for a comment and sure I'll [:

    ReplyDelete