Thursday, 9 January 2014

9/365 Trainspotting (I give it 10/10)

     So yesterday I watched Trainspotting (1996), and it was a great film, though I bet the book it's based on is even better. It started and ended with a meaningul message. I wanted to write it down to keep for myself as a reminder. It starts with this:
     --Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose a three-piece suit on hire purchase in a range of fucking fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pissing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourselves. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons.--
     Took me a while toget used to Scottish accent there. Even though film was a little bit unusual and sometimes even surreal (though as it was meant to show drug junkie life, I guess those things happening my have been hallucinating), it still made a point and had to be done, otherwise it just wouldn't be it. This story truly feels like based on something real, something felt, I haven't looked up information for how of it was made up, but this film surely is one of must-watch for sure. Though it had some rating, so it may be not suitable for all ages, but in lifetime you sure have to see it. And I surely will re-watch it someday.
t3chn0ir:

'You can't stay in here all day dreaming about heroin and Ziggy Pop.'
Trainspotting (1996)
     The film is directed by Danny Boyle who you may have noticed from his more known film - Slumdog Millionaire (2008), which I am eager to see for the second time, as it was just so touching and wonderfully done. Again with a few moments of rough and hard to watch scenes, but then again, those are what makes these films so special, it gives context to picture how people on different places spend their lives. It's not that glamurous as mostly American cinematography shows, right?
      This will be about it for the moment. I'm off to procrastinate some more from studies and see Blow-up by Michelangelo Antonioni. I only know that it's about a photographer and is on list of one of my friends favourite films. So I am giving it a try this evening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment